What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (26), what to do when someone dies in pa (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (16), steps to take when someone dies (15), what to do when someone dies in florida (13), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (13), what happens to a will when someone dies (3), what to do when someone dies in the house florida (2), what to do when someone dies at home in florida (2), what to do as executor when someone dies (2), legal and medical steps to take when someone dies (2), What steps do you take when somebody dies of natural causes in New York (2), pa law when someone dies (2), steps to take when someone dies and you are the executor (2), what to do legally with person dies in TN (2), what legal step do you take when someone dies intestate (2), what to do first with the estate (2), Keep this checklist of what to do when a loved one dies (2), what needs to be done finally when someone dies (1), what rights do executor have after person dies (1), what steps should we do 2 die in home (1), what steps to take when someone dies in KS (1), what steps to take when someone dies in oregon (1), what steps to take when your spouse dies without a will (1), what steps do i take when family dies without a will florida? (1), what pronlems arise for someone who dies intestate (1), what happens to an estate with a will in pennsylvania and beneficiaries are dead (1), what happens to single stocks at death if not in the will (1), what happens when an individual dies testate (1), what happens when someone dies with a will (1), what happens with a will after someone dies in ny (1), What has to be done if somebody dies? (1), what if someone is hiding a will of the deceased in california (1), what is the process for the will when one dies (1), what is the process for will reading after someone dies (1), what is the process when a person dies and you are listed in their will (1), what is the process when someone dies (1), texas law on will reading after a death (1), what legal steps need to be done after a person dies (1), what happens when you live with someone who dies (1), what process flow happens when person dies without will in pa (1), WHAT STEPS WILL I HAVE TO TAKE IF A PARENT PASSES KANSAS (1), what to do if someone dies at own home in florida (1), whats required by solicitor when mother passes (1), whats the prosses of a wl when someone passes (1), when a person dies when do you read a will (1), when someone dies do you have how to register will (1), when someone dies in pennsylvania do you have contact penndot?\ (1), when someone dies what happens with their bills and assets (1), when someone dies with a will (1), which relatives must be notified of death in pa (1), who does the attorney contact when you die (1), who is notified of probate of will in pa (1), whst to do spouse dies florida (1), why do you need an attorney if you arent the beneficiary of a person who dies without a will in new york (1), what you must do if you are a beneficiary of a will (1), what to do with will in florida after person dies (1), what to do in nys when someone dies (1), what to do someone dies (1), what to do when parent dies with a will in pa (1)