What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (36), what to do when someone dies in pa (20), steps to take when someone dies (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (17), what to do when someone dies in florida (16), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (14), when someone passes away what to do legally (5), do u need a attorney to read will when some one dies pennsylvania (3), yhs-looksafe_ds_trans (3), when do you turn in a will to a lawyer after someone dies (3), if you have the executor of a will in florida who steps in (2), when someone dies do you need to see a lawyer (2), washington state when family member dies (2), In FL who must be notified of death of parent (2), legal things to d when a mother dies (2), if someons passes away and tjey do not jave a proper will can their family take everything (2), what must be done after someone dies (2), who notifies the irs when someone passes (2), what to do when a loved one dies washington state (1), what legaly needs to be done when someone dies? (1), what to do when a person dies intestate in Pennsylvania (1), what legal steps do you need to take when someone dies (1), what to do when someone dies at home pa (1), what is the process when someone dies (1), what is the process a person dies and do not have a will (1), what must be done after a person dies (1), what to do if spouse dies in tn (1), what to do in washington state death of parent (1), what to do in pa after someone dies (1), what to do if someone dies without a will (1), what to do if someone dies with a will in tennessee (1), what to do as executor when someone dies (1), what to do after someone dies in florida (1), what needs to be done when your parent dies (1), what must you do with a will when a person dies (1), what to do in tennessee when your spouse dies (1), what is process when someone dies with a will (1), when someone dies do you have to register their will (1), what to do when someone dies without a will for texas (1), when someone dies when do they crossover good or bad? (1), when your parent dies unexpectedly (1), where is the death certificate located right after someone dies in texas (1), Where to register a will after person dies (1), who decides legally what happens someone passes away washington (1), who do you contact when a person dies without a will (1), who is the heir when someone dies in TN (1), who notifies the attorney of death for reading of a will? (1), www crwatkinslaw com/first-steps-to-take-when-someone-dies in florida (1), when someone dies what are the steps the executor takes (1), when someone dies in washington state (1), when someone dies in the state of washington (1), what to do with will after someone dies in texas (1), what you must do when someone dies in washington state (1), whats pa mean when someone dies (1), when a family member dies do you need a probate attorney (1), when some dies who notifies family in florida (1), when someeones dies does the irs need notified (1), when someone dies do you need a lawyer (1), when someone dies how low until will is to be read to family (1), when someone dies in pa (1)