What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (36), what to do when someone dies in pa (20), steps to take when someone dies (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (17), what to do when someone dies in florida (16), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (15), yhs-looksafe_ds_trans (3), when do you turn in a will to a lawyer after someone dies (3), do u need a attorney to read will when some one dies pennsylvania (3), In FL who must be notified of death of parent (2), when someone dies do you need to see a lawyer (2), washington state when family member dies (2), legal things to d when a mother dies (2), what to do when someone dies & a family member is hiding a will (2), what must be done after someone dies (2), who notifies the irs when someone passes (2), what to do when a person dies intestate in Pennsylvania (1), what to do in washington state death of parent (1), what to do in tn if spouse dies (1), what is the process a person dies and do not have a will (1), what to do in pa after someone dies (1), what legal steps do you need to take when someone dies (1), what legaly needs to be done when someone dies? (1), what must you do with a will when a person dies (1), what needs to be done after a parent dies (1), what needs to be done when your parent dies (1), what steps do you need to when a parent dies (1), what steps need to be taken when someone dies (1), what to do after a person dies in florida (1), what to do as executor when someone dies (1), what to do if someone dies without a will (1), what to do if spouse dies in tn (1), when a loved passes without beneficiaries (1), what to do when someone dies at home pa (1), when someone dies what are the steps the executor takes (1), when your parent dies unexpectedly (1), where is the death certificate located right after someone dies in texas (1), Where to register a will after person dies (1), who decides legally what happens someone passes away washington (1), who notifies the attorney of death for reading of a will? (1), who notifies the estate attorney of death (1), www crwatkinslaw com/first-steps-to-take-when-someone-dies in florida (1), when someone dies in washington state (1), when someone dies in the state of washington (1), when someone dies do you have to register their will (1), who is the heir when someone dies in TN (1), what to do with will after someone dies in texas (1), what you must do when someone dies in washington state (1), whats pa mean when someone dies (1), when a family member dies do you need a probate attorney (1), when a person dies and have a will (1), when someeones dies does the irs need notified (1), when someone dies and leaves a will what is the process (1), what to do when someone dies with a will in tennessee (1), checklist for when a loved one dies in tennessee (1), if executor of a will dies without executing it (1), if someone dies testate and the executer denies being executor (1), if someone dies testate and the executor they name backs out can someone else take over? (1), if someone has a will do you have to register it (1), In Alabama what is the procedue to be followed when someone dies at home? (1)