What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (35), what to do when someone dies in pa (19), steps to take when someone dies (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (16), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (14), what to do when someone dies in florida (14), what does an executor do when someone dies (6), what does executor do when someone dies (4), when someone passes away what to do legally (4), what to do with will when someone dies (4), what to do when someone dies in New York State (3), what do you have to do when someone dies with a will (2), What must ypu do in Pa when a perdon dies (2), pa law when family member dies (2), when someone dies on et al deed (2), when someone dies in pennsylvania (2), when someone dies in new york (2), what to do when parent dies (2), how to do an inventory after a person dies (2), how to activate a will after someone dies (2), what do you do with the will when the person dies (2), do you need to hire attorney after death of mother (2), legal steps to take when a parent dies in FL (2), does the executor get a percentage of the estate when someone dies (2), florida what to do when someone dies (2), what to do legally when parent dies (1), what to do when someone dies in Florida - no will (1), what should kids do after a loved one dies without a will (1), what to do when someone dies in kansas (1), what to do as executor when someone dies (1), what is the process in california when someone dies without a will (1), what to do with will when person dies in tennessee (1), what is the fist thing an exector does when trust owner in texas dies? (1), what is the estate when someone dies (1), what to do after wife dies in washington state (1), What Should You do When Your Wife Die (1), what to do if you have a will when someone dies (1), what to do legally when someone dies (1), what to ask an attorney when someone dies (1), what to do when a loved one dies and you are the executor (1), what to do when a person dies in pa (1), what steps what all is required to be done when someone dies in Texas (1), what to do when a person dies in washington (1), what to do when loved one dies in florida (1), what to do after mom dies and you are the beneficary (1), what is probate when someone dies (1), what to do when someone dies intestate in florida (1), what to do when someone dies with their will (1), when someone dies what do you do with the will (1), when someone dies what legally has to be done? (1), when someone dies where do you redgister that (1), when someone dies where do you register their will (1), when someone dies who do you legally have to notify (1), when someone dies without a will in New york State who has rights to act? (1), when someone pass (1), when someone passes away what is the first thing an executor do before probate (1), when someone passes with a will (1), When your spouse dies what do I do as executor (1), who contacts court when someone passes without a will (1), who is the executor when someone dies (1)