What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (38), what to do when someone dies in pa (20), steps to take when someone dies (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (17), what to do when someone dies in florida (16), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (15), what does an executor do when someone dies (4), steps to take when a family member dies (2), draf on a will whe some one dies (2), suze orman will named beneficiary but no executor named what happens during probate (2), what teps do you take with a will when someone passes away? (2), do you need a lawyer when someone passes away (2), What is the estate process when a loved one dies (1), What questions do you ask an attorney for your deceased mothers will? (1), what to do after someone dies in pa (1), what is the first thing an executor has to do when someone dies (1), what is the first thing an executor does when person dies (1), york county pa person dies testate (1), who to inform when someone dies (1), Who takes care of the will when someone dies - Does it need to be a lawyer (1), who does the executor need to contact when someone dies in the united states (1), when someone dies with a will in the state of tennessee (1), when someone dies with a will (1), when someone dies what does the executor have to do? (1), when someone dies legal paper obligations to executors in washington state (1), when someone dies and your in the will (1), when a person dies does not leave a will what are steps you have take texas (1), what is needed to transfer minerals in texas if someone dies testate (1), what happens in pennsylvania if someone dies without a will (1), how do long do you wait to see a lawyer after a loved one dies? (1), For will on estate what must be done when a person dies (1), executing a will in fl (1), DO YOU NEED TO NOTIFY THE IRS WHEN SOMEONE DIES (1), do you need an estate lawyer when someone dies? (1), do you need a lawyer if someone dies unexpectedly at home? (1), do you have to register as a exector for an estate with the state when someone passes (1), do u need a lawyer when someone dies (1), as a will executor what is the first thing to do when family member dies (1), how long does it take for the executors to be contacted after somone passes (1), How to proceed when a person dies (1), what happens if someone dies without a will or executor (1), steps to take when a person dies at home in texas (1), what does an executor do when a parent dies (1), what do i do when some dies in florida (1), washington state death of parent (1), RI Law: Who does a person notify if a family member dies at home? (1), person died in tennessee without a will now what (1), LEGAL OBLIGATIONS WHEN SOMEONE DIES (1), In Tennessee do I have to officially notify the nursing home where the deceased lived and died? (1), after someone dies in the state of iowa what legally has tobe done as an executor? (1)