What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (36), what to do when someone dies in pa (20), steps to take when someone dies (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (17), what to do when someone dies in florida (16), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (15), yhs-looksafe_ds_trans (4), do u need a attorney to read will when some one dies pennsylvania (3), washington state when family member dies (2), what to do when someone dies & a family member is hiding a will (2), legal things to d when a mother dies (2), what to do when someone dies? (2), who notifies the irs when someone passes (2), what to do when someone dies in washington state (2), when someone dies do you need to see the lawyer holding the will right away (1), what to do in washington state death of parent (1), what to do in tn if spouse dies (1), what to do if spouse dies in tn (1), what to do after a person dies in florida (1), what steps need to be taken when someone dies (1), what steps does one take when a family member dies? (1), what steps do you need to when a parent dies (1), www crwatkinslaw com/first-steps-to-take-when-someone-dies in florida (1), when someeones dies does the irs need notified (1), who notifies the estate attorney of death (1), when a person dies testate the real property (1), when a person dies and have a will (1), when a loved passes without beneficiaries (1), when someone dies and leaves a will what is the process (1), how to sell a house in florida when someone dies (1), when someone is hiding a will california (1), who decides legally what happens someone passes away washington (1), who notifies the attorney of death for reading of a will? (1), what needs to be done after a parent dies (1), what is testate when someone die (1), Mom dies intestate who decides burial tx (1), checklist for when someone dies in pa (1), in tn what happens when someone dies without a will (1), in pennsylvania who needs to be notified of death (1), in ny do you need a lawyer for the reading of a will (1), in new york what must be done legally after a person dies (1), if someone has a will do you have to register it (1), if a relative dies in anoter state he do you find prbate lawyer (1), how to proceed when parent dies (1), how long you have to wait to sell a house in tennessee when someone dies (1), how find a good lawyer when someone die\s (1), florida what to do when someone dies (1), Pa what to do after someone passes (1), process when someone dies without a will (1), steps an executor of a will must take care of in pa (1), what is required if someone dies without family (1), what happens with a will after someone dies in florida? (1), what happens when someone dies without a will in tn state (1), what executor does when someone dies (1), What Does Probate Mean When Someone Dies (1), what does an executor do when someone dies (1), what do you do when a person passes away without Anyone named ao (1), what do you do if someone dies in pa (1), what are the steps to open an estate after spouse dies in pennsylvania? (1), what are the steps taken by the family of someone who died te state (1)