What to Do when Someone Dies
Losing a loved one is difficult enough without all the additional legal hassles. Preparing the deceased’s estate may fall to you if you are named as the executor, and the court will assist you with your obligations if you are unsure of how to proceed. Though you should always rely on the assistance of your attorney or the probate court if you have any questions, the following is a general outline of the steps you must take when someone dies.
- Notify the police if the death occurs at home. They will be able to take the appropriate steps to help you.
- Contact any family or friends to notify them of the death. If the deceased left a will or other estate planning document, contact every beneficiary named.
- Make funeral arrangements. Expenses may be paid out of the individual’s estate whether or not there is a will. If there is a will, consult it for any instructions. Even if there isn’t a will, the individual may have prepaid for his or her funeral. Consult close friends or family members.
- Prepare an obituary, but omit any details that may be used to steal the individual’s identity (such as the mother’s maiden name).
- Consult an attorney, CPA, and/or financial advisor to help you with the probate process. You have a few statutory deadlines you must meet that vary depending on your state. An attorney can also help you find a will if one has been drafted.
- Ensure surviving dependents and pets are cared for. Pets pass to beneficiaries in the same way as any other property and may be named in the will. Anyone who wishes to become a guardian of any minor children must petition the court for approval.
- Obtain several copies of the death certificate.
- Make an inventory of all property, including real estate, bank accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and businesses.
- Obtain a tax number from the IRS for the estate.
- Notify life insurance companies, employers who provide employee benefits, Medicare, Social Security, and any other institution that may pay a benefit at death. You may need to provide a death certificate as verification.
Acting as the executor of an estate during probate proceedings can be difficult if you’re unsure of what you’re doing. Even experienced executors must spend a lot of time on each estate, which is why the courts permit executors to compensate themselves with the estate’s assets. If you are not completely comfortable with the process, you should retain the services of a probate attorney.
Incoming search terms:what to do when someone dies (30), what to do when someone dies in pa (19), steps to take when someone dies (19), what to do when someone dies in texas (16), what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (14), what to do when someone dies in florida (13), what do you do when someone dies without a will? (2), when a family members dies and you are the beneficiary of his will what do you do first (2), york county count house what to do when someone dies (2), what does executor do when someone dies (2), what to do as executor when someone dies (2), what are the laws in Florida when somebody dies (2), do I have to register the will after the person dies (2), what requirements when someone dies in pa (1), what steps must be taken after someone dies (1), when a person dies and has a hand written will (1), what steps must be taken when someone leaves a will (1), what to do when someone dies florida (1), what to do if someone dies without a will (1), what steps qfter person with will dies florida (1), what steps to take when someone dies without a will (1), what to do when parent dies in florida (1), what to do in pa when someone dies (1), what to do if someone dies without a will in pa\ (1), what to do after relative does in Pa (1), what to do after some dies in Pennsylvania (1), what needs to be done when a person dies in nys (1), Who all is notified by death certificate when a person dies? (1), who to notigy if person dies without will (1), who must the executor of an estate notify after the deceased passes away (1), who is the legal representative of an estate when someone passes away (1), when you have a will when person died (1), when someone passes away what to do legally (1), When someone dies without a will in NYS (1), when someone dies with a will in ca (1), when someone dies what do you do with the will? (1), when someone dies in PA (1), when someone dies in florida what do i do (1), When someone dies do you take the will to the courthouse (1), when someone dies are there county fees? (1), when someone dies and you\re in the will (1), when do you have to register a will in florida after a person dies (1), when do you get notified of testate will (1), whats legally required when someone dies in new york (1), what to do with a will when the person dies (1), What you need to do when someone dies to take care of their estate (1), after relative dies when are benficiaries legally notified (1), if a person dies in new york without a will who do you contact (1), if someone dies intestate are there any beneficiary (1), in new york what do you do if someone dies of natural causes (1), legal process when someone dies (1), legal steps after death in PA (1), legal steps for after person dies (1), legalities to do after a death (1), list of what to do when someone dies in pennsylvania (1), how soon after a person dies do you need to register a will (1), have someone dies how when do you read the will? (1), can a family hide a will found if the person dies (1), checklist when someone dies in california (1), do i need an attorney when someone dies without a will (1)